You sit down to update your resume and your brain goes blank. You don’t know what to include and what to leave out. Every section sounds awkward and the document just doesn’t feel ‘you’. Does this sound familiar? In that case, you may want to consider resume writing services.
When Using Resume Writing Services Makes Sense
Hiring someone to write your resume for you is a big decision. Since you are essentially trusting your image & future career success to another person. And you are paying a good price for a (hopefully) professional resume writing service. So how do you make sure that this investment will count? Here are several tell-tell signs.
1. You are Not Getting Interview Callbacks
It’s been several months since you’ve started applying for jobs, but all you’ve heard so far is crickets. Your work experience is significant, your combination of hard and soft skills is stellar, and your on-the-job accomplishments are impressive. What’s the issue?
Most likely it’s your resume. If it’s poorly written, non-ATS-friendly, or keyword-optimized, high chances are that it’s just flying past the busy HR.
A professional resume writing service helps you deal with these nuances and make sure that you are:
- Highlighting in-demand skills on your resume
- Use recruiting software friendly resume format
- Immediately draw attention to your post competitive qualities
- Avoid common resume faux pas.
2. You’ve Been Out of the Workforce for a While
Maybe you took some time out to start a family, pursue extra education, or complete a degree. But it’s been a while since you’ve stepped into an office and pitched for a job.
So when you start writing your resume, you are not even sure where to begin. Your experience sounds dated or you struggle to elegantly conceive or proactively address the gaps on your resume. In either case, you are getting overly frustrated because you cannot get the right message across.
That’s where a resume writer can help. The right person can offer a valuable side-perspective on your career so far, fill you in on the latest hiring trends, plus help you articulate your value.
3. You are Planning to Change Careers
Aligning your resume to a new industry or a new role is challenging. After all, how do you persuade someone that you can be an amazing hire if you don’t have any relevant work experience (just yet)?
What you do have is a staunch set of transferable skills, plus certain valuable experiences that can be applied in the new field. Professional resume writers can help you uncover those valuable details and strategically organize them on your career change resume.
4. You Don’t Have Time to Learn the Ins and Outs of Resume Writing
Let’s keep it real: there’s plenty of helpful resume writing guides and tips out there.
But the sheer volume of information can be overwhelming. Skimming through all the advice and actually putting it into action will take some time on your part.
So if you don’t have the time to dig deep into resume writing and practice the skill, it’s best to outsource the entire thing to someone.
5. You Can Afford to Hire an Expert Resume Writer
A resume writer isn’t just someone good with words. It’s a pro that also has:
- Good interviewing and listening skills
- Past experience in HR/Recruiting fields
- Deep understanding of different job niches, roles, and industries
- Extra industry knowledge & training they accumulated over the years
In other words — they are pros and know exactly how to structure, format, and write a compelling resume for candidates coming from different backgrounds.
Understandably, such expertise isn’t cheap. A 2019 Resume Pricing survey by Career Directors suggests that pro resume writers typically charge:
- $300-$499 for entry-level or new graduate resumes
- $300-$799 for mid-range resumes
- $600-$899 for executive-level resumes.
Robin Ryan, a career consultant and columnist with Forbes, also suggests that professional resume writing services cost $800-$2400 per document.
Of course, there’s plenty of cheaper resume writers out there. But, in most cases, you’d be paying for mediocre results.
TLDR: A professional resume is an asset that pays off in terms of better job propositions. You can invest your time in writing it. Or hire a professional who’ll communicate your expertise and career vision through the document.
How to Find a Good Resume Writing Service for You
If you decide to go with a pro resume writer (or writing service), you gotta know how to spot one. Again, the sheer choice of options can be overwhelming. But you’d want to zoom in on someone whose writing expertise is backed by a proven track record.
As you review different resume writing services and writers pay attention to the following:
- Credentials: Just like other types of professions, resume writers can get certified. Consider professionals with a CPRW credential or membership in a professional organization. Additionally, review their background outside of writing. Did they previously work in HR, recruiting? What formal level of education do they have?
- Testimonials and Reviews: Do a quick background check of the writer/service provider. Look for public reviews shared outside of their website.
- Areas of expertise: Different providers can specialize in different industries (e.g. tech or sales) and prefer to work with professionals at different stages of their career paths (e.g. execs only or graduates). Prioritize specialists over generalists to receive the best resume services.
- Writing process: It’s impossible to get a good resume written for you without actually speaking to the writer. If you don’t have a direct line of communication with the writer and a proper phone interview, treat it as a red flag.
- Timing: If someone promises you to write a resume in 24h, be wary. A good resume writer will need more time than that to review your intake information, ask follow-up questions, and review your niche/industry.
- Pricing: When the deal sounds too good to be true, it’s probably is. The cheapest resume writers will likely lack the skill and expertise to create a polished resume.
Our Pick Of The Top Resume Writing Services Available
Need more recommendations? We’ve rounded-up several resume writing services, along with a quick overview of what each one offers.
1. Resumes Planet
Resume Planet is considered to be one of the leading, resume-writing services in the US according to The Washington Post, Winchester Star, and The LA Times. They’ve been on the market long enough and have rather positive reviews from past customers.
Resumes Planet offers the following services:
- An Easy Ordering Process – It takes less than 5 minutes to fill in the order form.
- A Resume\CV Written by a Pro – Each writer is carefully vetted and has relevant credentials and industry experience.
- On-time Delivery – every order is delivered on time.
- Interview Invitation Guarantee – If you are not invited to an interview within 30 days, the company will provide a free revision.
You can even check out some resume samples created by their skilled writers before you decide to buy.
Price range: $109-$159 for a one-page resume, delivered in 5 days.
TopResume is another popular writing service, catering to professionals at different levels of their careers. Their website states that their writing network includes former and current recruiters, career consultants, and coaches with prolific experience in 65 industries. So they guarantee a strong match between the writer and the candidate.
In fact, the TopResume team goes as far as adding a 60-day interview guarantee for the resume and cover letter their team produces for you. If you don’t get a callback, they’d be happy to redo your materials free of charge!
Prices: They have three packages priced at $179, $219, and $349. If that sounds steep, TopResume also offers payment plans together with Affirm with rates from 0–30% APR.
ZipJob is another reputable resume writing service, headquartered in New Your City. No matter whether you are looking for an entry-level position or an executive role, their personalized approach will deliver a perfectly crafted resume to suit your needs.
What you get with their personalized resume writing services:
- 24/7 online support – just go to their website and receive answers to any questions you have in a quick and professional manner.
- Direct communication with the writer – with this feature you can get full control of the resume writing process and make sure that you will get a resume that fits your needs 100%.
- ATS-friendly resume – ZipJob ensures that your resume is properly formatted to pass through any applicant tracking software, plus contains all the right keywords to emerge on top of other submissions.
- 60-day interview guarantee – if you don’t get that call, the writer will update your resume once again for free.
ZibJobs website is nicely laid out and easy to navigate. You also get to see profiles of their professional writers so you can form an instant connection.
Prices: Also have three packages priced at $139, $189, and $299 with payment plans available for eligible applicants.
Does everyone need resume writing services? No. You can create a compelling resume on your own with a bit of time and practice. But should you consider using one if you have the budget? Definitely! Professional resume writers often provide more than just a resume copy. A pro can help you improve your personal branding, refine your career path, and determine better job opportunities to pursue!