A medical biller has the important job of ensuring that patients, insurance companies, and any other third parties are properly billed for medical care. They are also responsible for verifying that hospital billing records are properly maintained, all services are accurately coded, and no important information slips through the cracks. Without a medical biller, patient financial records would become a mess, and payment delays would be the norm.
This is a rewarding, high-demand job, with great career growth prospects. With just a bit of experience and an excellent resume, you could be on your way to your next opportunity as a medical biller.
So let’s help you write one, shall we? Our tips and medical biller resume examples will come in handy for that!
Medical Biller Resume Sample (Word)
Here is a resume sample for a medical billing professional. You can see some of the advice above in action.
Medical Biller Resume Example (plain text)
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist with seven years of experience working in both hospitals and private clinics. I have worked with private insurance companies, VA, Medicare, and Medicaid. I take pride in my accuracy and attention to detail.
Skills and Qualifications
- Diagnostic and service-level CPT Codes
- ICD-10 Physicians Codes
- MS Excel
- HIPAA Certification as of June 2020
- Medicare Fraud Training
- VA Eligibility Certification
- Written and verbal communication
- Attention to detail
- Mathematical accuracy
- 95% productivity and accuracy rating
Medical Billing And Coding Specialist
St. Mary’s Hospital, Evansville IN
May 2016 – Present
- Reviewed patient billing records to ensure accuracy.
- Encoded appropriate service and diagnostic codes.
- Assisted patients and insurance providers with billing questions and concerns.
- Provided office support as needed.
- Ensured that office procedures were HIPAA compliant.
During my time at St. Mary’s, I have achieved a nearly 100% billing acceptance rate among private insurance providers, and a 90% rate with VA and Medicare.
Billing and Payments Assistant
Jefferson Public Health Clinic, Jefferson City MO
April 2012 – May 2016
- Medical Case Billing Data Entry
- Assisted Medical Coding Head With Various Tasks
- Delivered medical records within the building
- Double checked billing records and spreadsheets for accuracy.
- Assisted customers and insurance company reps.
Medical Billing And Coding Certificate of Achievement
Baron Community College, Jefferson City MO (2011)
Medical Office Assistant, Associate of Applied Science
Baron Community College, Jefferson City MO 2009
Medical Biller and Coder Resume Example
AAPC-certified medical coder and biller with an associate degree in accounting, looking for a full-time position with a healthcare organization. Strong knowledge of ICD/CPT-4 codes, knowledge of NetSuite & EMR systems, and excellent bookkeeping skills.
Medical Coder and Biller
Use my accounting and coding skills to ensure effective payment processing and maintain a minimum volume of rejected claims disputes with insurance companies.
- Assign ICD-9 CM and CPT-4 codes to the highest specificity, ensuring accurate records.
- Liaise with insurance companies to obtain payments. Reduced the number of aging medical claims by 15% in one year.
- Balance daily banking sheets, resolve incorrect payments, handle EOB rejections, and prepare information for external collection agencies.
- Maintain an accuracy rate of 96% or above on average in coding practices. Effectively batch up to 60 claims per day.
Bookkeeper – part-time
August 2019-May 2020
Worked as a bookkeeper for small local businesses, primarily in the retail and agriculture sectors, while obtaining my degree.
- Used QuickBooks to accurately record all financial operations for 5 clients. Handled all AR/AP; reconciled bank and credit statements monthly.
- Suggested opportunities for cash flow optimization. Helped a retail location reduce inventory costs by 15% by optimizing pricing.
- Created balance sheets, income statements, and tax reports for the supervised clients. Advised on tax deduction opportunities.
A.A.S. in Accounting
Kansas State University
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) by AAPC. Issued March 2020.
- QuickBooks Online Accounting Certification. Issued Sep 2019.
- Bilingual: English and Chinese
- Certified in Mental Health First Aid
How to Format a Medical Biller Resume?
The three standard resume formats are chronological, functional, and combination resume.
A chronological resume format is the most popular choice. However, since much of your professionalism lies in your certification and skills, it’s best to place these in the spotlight. Especially, if you’re an entry-level medical biller or coder.
Thus, you can opt for a combination resume format that leads off with a larger resume summary and list of your skills. Then list your job history and education. By placing your certifications, skills, and even professional memberships at the top of your resume, you can assure any hiring manager that you meet their hiring criteria. Afterward, you can further elaborate on your duties and accomplishments in the work experience sections to make an even more persuasive argument for hiring you.
Overall, an amazing medical biller resume includes the following elements.
Medical Biller Resume Objective
Typically, a resume objective is a go-to option for entry-level candidates or those seeking for an internship. However, more senior professionals who are transitioning to medical billing from another accounting profession also use these to better explain their motivation.
Here are several effective resume objective examples for a medical biller collector:
Engaged and motivated medical biller collector with a proven track record of optimizing revenue streams. Generated an extra $250K in revenue by activating 300 accounts YoY. Seeking a new position in the Bay area due to family relocation.
Junior medical biller, highly knowledgeable in ICD-9, CPT, and HCPCS codes. Impeccable attention to detail, strong communicator with a high work ethic. Looking for a role where expertise in revenue cycle management can contribute to efficient and error-free billing processes.
Medical Biller Resume Summary
A resume summary is another way to style a resume header.
Unlike an objective statement, a resume summary only gives a snapshot of your skills, accomplishments, and abilities (without indicating a preference for a specific role).
Think of it as a “trailer” to your full resume. It should be short, punchy, and value-packed, allowing the reader to immediately picture your professional background.
A sample resume summary for a medical coder resume can go like this:
Certified medical coder, handling over 100 claims per day with a 98% accuracy rate. Member of the American Association of Medical Coding Professionals. 2018 graduate of McDonough School of Business.
Medical Biller Resume Skills
The main thing most hiring managers want to know is your skillset. Are you familiar with specific software? Do you know how to perform ancillary tasks like “medical document analysis” or “revenue cycle management”? You need to bring up all your competencies to increase the likelihood of getting selected.
The most in-demand skills and qualifications for a medical biller include:
- Medical coding: ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS codes.
- Medical terminology: Knowledge of medical terms, procedures, and anatomy.
- Software: EMR/EHR systems, accounting apps, ERP systems.
- Medical billing: claims submission, claims disputes handling, reimbursement processing.
- Bookkeeping: Payment reconciliation, balance sheet management, cost of service estimates, etc.
Training and Certifications:
- CPB Certification
- CBCS Certification
- AAPC Certification
- CMCA-HCC Cerficiation
- Associate Member Medical Billers And Coders of North America
- HIPAA Healthcare Employees Training
- Medicare Billing Training
- Electronic Medical Records Administration Certificate of Completion
- Analytical skills
- Time management
- Organizational skills
- Customer service
- Self-management skills
- Ethical judging
- Continuous learning
Next comes writing the work experience section of your medical biller resume.
Remember to describe your responsibilities in a way that’s as relevant as possible. Your goal is to show how your previous experience qualifies you for the job at hand. Consider some of the most valued attributes of a medical biller:
- Good with numbers
- Computer skills
- Able to work at a fast pace
Now, keep these in mind when you describe your current and past employment responsibilities. It might look like this:
In my current position as a medical office receptionist, I ensure that patient records, appointment schedules, and other documents are accurate and accessible. I’m also responsible for calculating patient billing amounts for collections for a suite of seven physicians.
Last, but not least comes the Education section. List all your degrees. Don’t have one or didn’t finish college yet? Check how to add an unfinished degree to your resume.
Next, make a separate list of any professional certifications and memberships that you hold. These can add extra weight to your application.
Speaking a foreign language may not be a job requirement, but this is something that can significantly increase your marketability in this field. If you are bilingual, you should mention this fact on your resume, and feature it somewhere prominently.
You can also include some other interesting facts about yourself at the bottom of your resume such as your volunteering work or a description of your workstyle. These personal deets can help you stand out among the crowd of other applicants.
Medical Biller Resume Templates
Not only do you have to write a great resume, but you also need to make it look attractive.
When you present a resume that’s professionally designed and easy to read, you show that you care enough to take extra steps. Further, an attractive resume can make you stand out among a ton of other applicants.
Then again, nobody wants to spend hours using a graphic design tool to create an awesome template. Fortunately, you don’t have to! Instead, you can grab a professional premade resume template for free from our website or use our free resume builder!
Here are several sleek medical biller resume templates our community loves:
- Innovative Impact resume template
- Modish and Elegant free resume template
- Plain but Trendy resume template
Final Tip: Know What To Exclude
Take a close look at your medical biller resume. Are you still listing jobs from high school? What about work that’s entirely unrelated to your field? Consider eliminating these from your resume. The only exception to this is if you are inexperienced, and have less than five years of job history without these entries.