Preschool isn’t just glorified playtime. It’s an important, formative educational period for children. Preschool teachers often act as mentors for the young generation, shaping the kids’ intellectual development and social behavior.
As a qualified professional, you deserve a great position — and now may be the best time to job-hunt. The early childhood education segment is experiencing major teacher shortages, especially in Florida and California.
So it’s time to refresh your resume and get into the field! In this post, you’ll find a persuasive sample preschool teacher resume, followed by extra tips for writing and formatting.
Preschool Teacher Resume Example (Word)
Preschool Teacher Resume (plain text)
State Licensed Early Childhood Educator
High-energy early childhood educator with over five years of experience teaching Preschool 3, 4, and Pre-K students from diverse backgrounds. Capable of selecting and delivering a variety of educational methods to ensure each child has their needs met.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Classroom management
- ECE Methodologies
- IEP Development And Support
- Test Administration
- Cultural Literacy
- Play Based Learning
- Parent Relationship Development
- Collaborative Teaching
- Integration of Technology
- Certified Outdoor Educator
- Lesson Planning
- Speech and Language Development
- Music Integration
- Curriculum Development
- Mindfulness Educator
- Emotional Intelligence
- Communication Skills
North Chicago Community Unit School District – LaSalle Early Childhood
Preschool-4 Lead Teacher
June 2020 – Present
- Effectively managed an integrated classroom of 15 students
- Coordinated with paraprofessionals and other staff to create a positive learning space
- Kept accurate attendance records and other student reports as required
- Maintained regular communications with parents, staff, and administration
- Led the creation of a successful pre-k readiness program
Bright Beginnings Learning Center – Evanston Il
Preschool & Pre-K Educator
March 2017 – June 2020
- Successfully applied classroom management skills
- Developed and followed an Art Studies curriculum
- Led Pre-School Teachers Aide Development Programming
- Developed a movement and music program for special needs children
- Conducted one-on-one kindergarten readiness evaluations
- Acted as interim lead teacher during summer enrichment programs
- Increased participation in enrichment activities by 28%
Cook County Department of Parks And Recreation
Summers May 2013 – August 2015
- Planned and led daily art and music activities
- Ensured that safety and wellness protocols were followed
- Mentored summer camp attendees
- Reduced safety incidents by 25%
- Communicated with parents and caregivers on matters concerning children in my care
Education And Certifications
University of Chicago
Early Childhood Education – Bachelor of Arts
Emphasis: Preschool Music & Arts Education
Evanston Community College
Early Childhood Education – Associate of Arts
Illinois Department of Education
Early Childhood Educator Content Examination
Passed February 2017
United States Red Cross
Certified infant and child CPR and First Aid
Memberships and Awards
- Northern Illinois University Early Childhood Educator Gold Award Winner
- Preschool Art Teacher of The Year
- Cook County Excellence in Education Winner
- Vice President North Chicago Preschool Teachers Association
Preschool Teacher Resume Writing and Job Search Tips
The sample above showcases many of the elements of an attention-grabbing resume. Feel free to take it as a working example and adapt it to your professional background. Then, refer to these tips to ensure your application is as effective as possible.
Do The Preliminary Work
Is your certification up to date? Have you had a recent background check done? What about your cover letter? Make sure you have all the application materials ready in advance. Most job application forms will ask you to provide all of these details in advance.
Be Bright But Professional
As someone who creates a nurturing yet energetic presence, you want your kid-loving personality to shine through your application. That’s a great idea but proceed with caution. You want to be taken as a serious professional, not an entertainer. Avoid anything that might be seen as overly cutesy.
For example, feel free to choose a colored background for your resume template. But avoid cartoonish watermarks or patterns. Avoid any temptation to use fonts with a lot of ‘flourish’ such as handwritten ones. These are hard to read and could get your resume sent to the recycling bin. Instead, pick a traditional resume font like Arial, Verdana, Calibri, or Times New Roman.
Use words and phrases that are relevant to the job you want to get. You can gather these from the job listing. When your resume contains keywords, it is much more likely to be read and approved for an interview or further screening.
Some good keywords you can use in your preschool teacher resume include:
- Classroom management
- Conflict resolution
- Parent engagement
- Curriculum development
- Lesson planning
- First Aid and CPR
- Experiential learning
- Field trip organization
- Student grading
- Language development
Show Your Credibility
You show your credibility as an early childhood educator by detailing the results you have achieved and including information about your responsibilities. One way to do this is by using numbers. Numbers quantify the impacts of your work. There are a few examples of this technique in the above resume sample. For example, increasing participation in enrichment activities.
Another method you can try is using action words. These draw an important picture of you being effective at the jobs you have held. Words like “led”, “managed”, “coordinated”, “administered”, “developed”, “mentored”, and “planned” add significant authority to your resume.
Final Tip: Keep It Short
There is no reason to include every job, volunteer position, or educational endeavor in your preschool teacher resume. The ideal resume length is one page. If you have a longer draft, think about what you can take out to make your submission more succinct.