When it comes to landing a rewarding job as an accountant or in a related field, your resume is just one part of the equation. You must also compose and file an engaging cover letter. This is where you will reiterate that you meet the stated qualifications, are a good cultural fit for the organization, and that you are highly interested in the position.
Helpful Cover Letter Writing Tips For Accountants
- Accounting is a job that requires accuracy and attention to details. Spelling and grammatical errors are a real turn off and make the reader question your expertise with numbers. Edit your letter carefully and pay attention to punctuation and common grammar issues.
- Express your enthusiasm for the job, and the company without gushing. Most accounting firms prefer to keep conversations formal. Be sure to address the ways in which the position aligns with your career goals in 5 to 10 years.
- Use your accomplishments to quantify your qualifications. Keep your focus on relevant experience, training, and skills. Use facts and data where you can. Don’t simply repeat what is already on your resume.
- Be courteous. Use an appropriate salutation and closing in your letter. Address your document to the hiring manager using their name. Avoid generic salutations whenever possible. Finally, thank the recruiter for considering you for the position.
- Always express a sincere desire to follow up with an interview or phone call.
- Customize your cover letter for each position. You should never send a generic or ‘one size fits all’ cover letter.
- Break your letter into small paragraphs. Hiring managers often have dozens of resumes and cover letters to review. Make yours easy on the eyes.
- Use keywords in both your cover letter and your resume. You can get these from the job listing. Keywords include specific skills, names of software packages, years of experience, certifications, and other items that a hiring manager may be ‘scanning’ for.
Cover Letter Example For an Accounting Position (Word version)
An Example Cover Letter For an Accountant (text version)
Month day, YEAR
Dear Hiring Manager Name,
I am submitting my resume and this letter to express my interest in the position of Internal Auditor at Company Name. I read the job listing you posted at JobBoard, and decided to apply right away. I have previously worked with your company as an external auditor when I was employed by Partner & Partner. I enjoyed my experiences with your organization, and I appreciated that your financial department operated with such efficiency.
I believe that my acquired experience in compliance and auditing in both medium and large enterprises make me uniquely qualified for this position. I am also very familiar with the Accounting X software package that your organization uses. I am very organized, detail oriented, and capable of managing several projects at once. I have a degree in finance and am in the process of obtaining my MBA. I am a CPA and a member of the Midwest Association of Financial Professionals.
In my current position at Major Corporation, I work directly under the Chief Financial Officer. I am wholly responsible for ensuring that my regional divisions comply with all financial regulations and tax laws and that they meet all reporting requirements. I have personally led several internal audits that have resulted in the recovery of a significant amount of funds and saved the organization numerous penalties and other sanctions.
In addition to my technical skills, I have worked very hard over the years to develop leadership, team building, communication, and conflict resolution abilities. I am proficient in several account and financial software packages. I have also completed a certificate of mastery in Microsoft Office. I am open to the extensive travel that this position requires.
Company Name has a well-deserved reputation for excellence. Your organization is diverse, focused on social good, and forward thinking. I have learned quite a bit about the culture at Company Name as well as your progressive work environment through Company Name’s Instagram page, and Facebook. It’s no wonder that your company was rated the #1 place to work for Millennials in the greater Springfield area.
I am very interested in working for your company, and I believe that I have the qualifications and personality that make me a perfect fit. At your convenience, I would love to move forward to the next stage. Please contact me at any time. Thank you for your consideration.
The work of an accountant is highly structured and analytical. Your resume should reflect that. On the other hand, your cover letter should highlight your skills and qualifications as well as your enthusiasm and personality. The example above shows how to do that in a way that reads very naturally, and professionally.
Feel free to use this sample cover letter as a guide when writing your own. Just remember that it’s essential to customize your own letter so that it best reflects your talents and goals. To really make an impact, consider pairing this cover letter with one of our free, professional, resume templates.