Those “little things” can absolutely derail you off the track.
Staying productive during job search requires titanic effort.
When you are applying to jobs day after day, week after week, with little-to-no success, it’s easy to get side-tracked.
But channeling loads of energy and time into the “little things” – over-obsessing with your LinkedIn cover photo, changing resume fonts or perfecting your email signature – won’t bring you much closer to landing that job.
If you have that “itch” to fix something, focus on the more impactful things instead:
- Research new keywords and “power words” for your resume and LinkedIn profile.
- Practice answering common interview questions.
- “Try on” several new resume templates.
- Give your resume another look and “beef up” your work experience section with additional accomplishments.
- Practice writing better cover letters.
…Or just give yourself a lil’ break and switch to other things before diving into another round of job applications and networking.